Project: Meander Medical Centre
Designer: Atelier PRO
The Meander Medical Centre in Amersfoort, the Netherlands is an award winning project from Atelier PRO. Clean lines, bright blues and greens, and a strong connection to nature dominate this project. But, it’s the clever little design features dotted throughout that we love; the bench seat and table for patients rooms is functional and funky.
This inspiring project has been highlighted with awards around the world including:
- The SBID Healthcare Design Award 2015 from the Society for British and International Design
- Healthcare Environment Award 2015 in the Acute Care category
- WAN Healthcare Awards Built Category 2014
Atelier PRO was set up in 1976, and is an architectural firm in The Hague. They have a great gallery of projects including over 10 in the healthcare sector. Check it out here: www.atelierpro.nl/en
Project: Royal Children’s Hospital, Melbourne
Designer: Billard Leece Partnership
Established in 1995 Billard Leece Partnership based in Sydney and Melbourne has an extensive folio of health care projects across Australia. One of the most recognised is The Royal Children’s Hospital in Melbourne, Australia. This project won the
- Best of the Best Award at the 2012 BPN Sustainability Awards,
- Melbourne Design Award Architecture - Commercial - Constructed category 2012
- Australian Interior Design Awards Colour in Commercial Design Award in 2012
The Royal Children’s Hospital is a remarkable project designed and built to the highest level of sustainability. They use nature to connect with the child and provide a therapeutic backdrop for visitors. This description tells all: “A series of connected experiences for children and their families never strays far from the parkland setting, with a view to reducing anxiety (and pain) for patients using the natural world as a positive distraction.”
We reckon that they got everything spot on in this $1 billion project.
Project: Lady Cilento Children's Hospital
Lyons is one of Australia's largest design practices based in Melbourne. Featured regularly in industry publications you will recognise them from their work on the Royal Hobart Hospital, Sunshine Hospital or the Lilydale Super Clinic.
Multi-award winners, they have recently been awarded the 2015 Australian Institute of Architects, F.D.G. Stanley Award for Public Architecture, QLD Chapter, and 2015 Australian Institute of Architects, Brisbane Regional Commendation (Interior Architecture) for the Lady Cilento Children's Hospital. Bright colours dominate their design, which boasts attributes such as:
- clear wayfinding,
- connections to the outside,
- views of nature and
- providing a green and sustainable environment for patients and staff.
- We love the green spaces and connections to the natural world.